Firmware update for the Roland MKS-30 Analog classic rack synthesizer:
- MIDI CC control of all parameters [list of parameters here]
- Sysex Load and Save of internal or cartridge patches (This requires a small hardware modification to convert MIDI Thru into a MIDI out jack, only used for patch saves)
- Front panel and CC control of velocity usage: Off, Filter Env Amt, VCA Level, Filter and VCA (setting saved in patch)
- Front panel and CC selection of Poly I, Rotary, or Poly II key assign mode (always defaults to Poly I at power up)
- Bugfix: MIDI CC 01 mod wheel code no longer enables DCO I and DCO II frequency modulation automatically
HARDWARE MODIFICATION FOR SYSEX LOAD/SAVE MOD
Installing the firmware is not quite straightforward if you would like to make use of the Sysex feature. One extra connection has to be soldered inside the MKS-30 to enable MIDI Out on the MIDI Thru jack. Details [in this PDF here].
READ BEFORE SOLDERING: There is a downside to the mod. If you own Roland’s external PG-200 controller, or a modern replica like the DTronics DT200, there will be no MIDI OUT of the CC values from the controller – yet.