21st-century partial rewrite of the latest firmware for the Akai AX-80 vintage analog synth, enhancing its functionality and fixing some problems.
Rewritten by Bob Grieb 2017 – tauntek.com
- MIDI Sysex patch save and restore – saves or restores Bank A and B patches in one operation
- MIDI Sysex and cc parameter changes are now supported
- Non-volatile storage of MIDI send and receive channel setting, current patch, and NVLFOFR variable
- Selectable free-running LFO’s mode, controlled by NVLFOFR variable
- VCF cutoff parameter changes are now applied immediately
- Current program and bank are displayed when program Write is initiated
- MIDI channel-setting displays changed to rC and SC for receive channel and send channel
A PDF instruction sheet is available for download here: AX80NewFWinstrs
The chip is available for a price of €30 plus shipping (€5 p&p; international mail); this includes a license fee for the software to the author, Bob Grieb. On ordering, please state which version of the original firmware is running in your AX-80 – there are three, named I, K, and L. You will have to open your synth and take a look.
Shipping is done as an unregistered first-class letter; this is €2,50 within Germany, and €5 to European destinations. If you would like registered shipping with a tracking code, add another €2,50.
EU companies may get an invoice without V.A.T, in that case, please state your EU Tax ID number.
Deliveries to non-EU destinations may cause additional local taxes and customs charges.
To order, send me your e-mail, and your shipping address – I’ll prepare a Paypal invoice for you, and send the chips as soon as the invoice has been paid.
You may return the chips within 14 days after receiving them for a full refund; please bear the return shipping costs.
By the way: you may also download the code from Bob’s page if you would like to burn the PROM for yourself, provided you pay the license fee directly to him.